Friday 27 February 2015

Blog for Mental Health 2015



“I pledge my commitment to the Blog for Mental Health 2015 Project. I will blog about mental health topics not only for myself, but for others. By displaying this badge, I show my pride, dedication, and acceptance for mental health. I use this to promote mental health education in the struggle to erase stigma.”





     My mental health journey begins at a young age.  Though this information was omitted from previous posts I only remembered it towards the middle of last year.  I remember bits and pieces of my childhood, but I now clearly remember attempting to hang myself in the schoolyard at the age of eight.  The knot didn’t hold and I fell before any but a few took notice, and thankfully no teachers or other people of authority.  It should have been a great indicator that something was deeply wrong, even at such an age.

     Not much of interest happened until I hit my teenage years.  My first hints of social anxiety and depression manifested but I still did not seek help.  Grade ten I took half a bottle of sleeping pills.  Luckily nothing permanent happened.

     When I left for University things got out of hand.  I came across the concept of cutting.  I cut myself with broken glass and exacto-knives.  That was when the police were called and I was given the choice of signing myself into the hospital, or being forced into one.  I chose the former.  I was diagnosed as bipolar.

     That was in 2003.  The hospital was a scary place for me.  I didn’t feel at all as though I belonged there and fought hard to get out.  By that I mean I did everything I was told and told the doctors exactly what they wanted to hear, and immediately upon seeing the doctor said I wanted to leave.  In retrospect that was not the best idea.  After getting out I dropped out of college and refused any kind of treatment.  I felt as though I could keep things under control.

     This was, of course, a mistake.  I alienated those around me and destroyed many relationships.  It was not until 2012 that I scared myself into getting the help I needed.  I again attempted to overdose on medication, winding up in the hospital again.  This time I didn’t fight it.  Things had changed quite a bit in the nearly ten years between visits.  Realistically I should have been hospitalized many times over.  I was put on medication and sent to therapy.  I also discovered psychosocial rehabilitation, a wonderful program that people should look into if it is available in their area.  It was around this time I was finally diagnosed with social anxiety disorder.

     Then, as stated in my previous entry, things got out of hand and I landed back in the hospital in early 2013.  Since then I have relocated to a new country (Canada), I have been learning how to navigate a completely different mental health system.  It has been a challenge to be sure.  I have been seeing my new therapist for about six months and have been on stable medications for the past year.  Things have gotten to a much more stable place.

     I joined the Blog for Mental Health last year, and did not contribute as much as I wanted to.  This year I will make it a point to contribute much more than last and look forward to reading and interacting with other bloggers.  I want to make it a point to erase as much stigma about mental health issues as possible.  I hope to educate others on my experiences, and on what mental illness really is.  It is for that reason that I am renewing my pledge to the Blog for Mental Health.


--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment